6/21/09

URU VS. Free Realms

So, yesterday I signed up for a new game. FREE REALMS!!!

So, I started off by making my own character, Blue hair (kinda regreting it), green eyes, Average explorer clothes. I named my character "Uruexplorer Dtc", minus the quotes, of course, and downloaded the game. I signed in, and jumped onto a server! {I think I logged onto 7, but, it could have been 1...Curse you similary-shaped numbers!!!)

First up was training. I chased off some robgoblins, brought a pig back to it's owner, made some stew, chased off some more RobGoblins, and then went into the main game itself! The controls are a simple "WSAD" or "^V<>" arrow key pad walking system. Space bar is, of course, Jump. And you know what I find funny?

/me jumps in Free Realms

/me jumps in Myst, URU

Yup. Almost. Exactly. The Same. Jump.

Running? Yep, almost the same. Turning? Same. Swimming? Close but no Brawler's hammer. :D

The chat system is familiar, yet different, unlike URU, where you just start typing, you have to hit [Enter] first, then type, then [Enter] again to talk. It appears in the chat window, and in a kawaii little bubble above your avvie!

You start off in a forrest, and, if you're like me, you're immediately off following green dots on the ground onto your next path. Like the Marker games in URU, you can turn off this feature and just walk around.

You have a friends system, simply open the buddy window, type in a player's name, like URU, and wait for them to either accept or reject this invite. This is Unlike Uru. In Uru, you can only add a friend to your buddie list, which can result in the other player becoming spammed with your buddy chat if you can't track them down and add them as a buddie. In Free Realms, you both become friends, and are added on eachother's friends list. Also, instead of going /buddies or /neighbors, you go /tell "so and so" "message here!" It comes out as this little message:

[Cal] whispers: Yo!


Nice, huh?

There are these things called warpstones. You click on one, and up comes a map of the entire exploreable world. You can only teleport to places you've been, however. Like Uru. Also, the infamous "quadruple avvies inside eachother at the /spawn point" glitch is unavoidable here. But, since it's all one world, you gain controll much faster than you do in URU. Which is nice.

With the friend system, you can instantly teleport to your friends! Making hunting them down a lot easier. Especially if you just want to hang out with a friend.

The monsters...ah, the trademark difference between Uru and F.R., you go to them. Not the way the battles are scripted in most MMPORPGs. They are seperate little hub ages and they are loads of fun. For example, the RobGoblin "recovver stolen property" mission age, and the "Ruffian celler" challenge age. {NOTE: names are not right. /shrug}

Another trademark difference is that you can do whatever you want. I, for instance, am trying to be a Brawler and an Adventurer. While my friend Kate, is specializing in being a chef. Pretty cool, huh?

Worried you'll rack up this cool character and not being able to use it on another of the 10 servers? No problem. The Avvie data is stored elsewhere, meaning you can server hop to your little 'hood hoppin' heart's content and stay with the same avvie. I, for instance, went from 1/7 to 10 to 7 again, all the same data was saved, including location.

Today, I was busy leveling up my Brawler job-I battled ghost miners, some Robgoblins, lots of snakes, some monsterous plants, some trolls, and spiders-and my adventurer job (my favorite, as an Uru Explorer)-I ran missions all over the place, from Sanctuary, to Blackspore, to Merry Meadows, to Briarwood, and back to Sanctuary again! This is an annoying thing when walking, but not when you can...Teleport!-, I am now a level 6 Brawler, and a L4 Advenrurer now. :D Yay me! /clap /cheer

I spent my last few hours tonight running amok in Bugachug...or is it Wugachug?...chasing after ONE silly Kitten. I found four-or was it five?-total. Kitten madness. Meow.

So, tomorrow, I will go on server five (5) to meet up with other Uru fans!

See ya 'round the Cavern/Sanctuary!

_DTC

No comments:

Post a Comment